Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Problematic Faves


(x)


Alright, there was some drama that went down on Twitter today over Alex from All Time Low just recently after something he tweeted, and because this kind of drama seems to happen a lot lately, I decided I wanted to talk about it somewhere where I don’t have a certain number of characters to rant.

So, every once and a while, you might be scrolling on Tumblr, or Twitter or whatever, and you come across something that one of your favorite celebrities/youtubers/favorite famous person said that was rude or messed up or whatever. Of course, there will always be those people who just brush it off, thinking that their favorite celebrity is always perfect and makes no mistakes whatsoever, so this is not that big of a deal. (Either that, or they just don’t want to address it, fearing that people will say that they’re not a ‘real fan’ for calling out someone who said something stupid or hurtful.)

Let me just say, first off, there’s nothing wrong with calling out someone for saying something that is hurtful or rude or whatever and telling them how it might be offensive to someone. “BUt Ur nOT a REaL FaN iF yoU saY tHEy DiD sOMeThiNG wRoNG!!1” Okay, but listen up; it takes exactly $0.00 to admit that your 'fave is problematic'. Everyone says stupid things. Admitting that your favorite celebrity messed up doesn’t make you a bad fan, it means that you’re not a mindless fan and don’t just follow someone because you think that everything they do is perfect and could do no wrong. If you think something a celebrity said was messed up, it’s up to you whether you still want to be a fan of them anymore.

Second, a lot of celebrities/people in general lately like to use the phrase “I’m sorry you got offended :))))” and then just go on with their day, acting like they did nothing wrong. That’s not a valid apology. All that does is push the blame of what THEY did on to the person that was hurt by the thing they said/did or whoever told them that what they said was wrong, and that’s a messed up way to deal with a situation. (For example, suppose you saw a plate of cookies on the kitchen counter and you ate them all. If someone came up to you and told you that was wrong, you wouldn’t respond with ‘oh well, it’s your fault for not locking the cookies up in a safe place far, far away from me.”) If someone does react that way, don’t accept their ‘apology’ and just move on, if they messed up, they need to own up to their own mistakes. (Especially considering they’re a celebrity, and are held up to higher standards with so many people looking up to them. By now, they should know how to act on social media.)

If they actually cared, they would apologize formally and admit they did something wrong and say that they’ve learned that what they said was wrong and that they won’t do it again. If you’re going to judge someone based on something they did wrong, judge them on how they reacted to the situation and how they owned up to their mistakes and took responsibility for their own actions. It shows a lot about them as a person.

Another thing, just because they did apologize doesn’t automatically make what they said okay. If a burglar robbed a bank, the cop wouldn’t let them go, money and all if they simply said ‘sorry’. They were the ones that said something wrong, and they can’t go back and fix it, but they can learn from their mistakes.

This does apply to everyone in your life, but I wanted to make this about celebrities/youtubers in the meantime, because this always gets brought up in my timeline whenever somebody famous says something wrong, and I’m getting really tired of watching people pick sides.

Anywho, that’s all. Just watch how people act, how they own up to the dumb things they say, don’t be a mindless fan, and have a fantastic day.


~    ~    ~

((ALSO I WILL BE RESPONDING TO COMMENTS SOON. YOU GUYS LEFT SUCH LOVELY COMMENTS ON THE LAST POST, THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH, I JUST HAVEN’T GOTTEN TO RESPONDING YET. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY. <3))

8 comments :

  1. "If you’re going to judge someone based on something they did wrong, judge them on how they reacted to the situation and how they owned up to their mistakes and took responsibility for their own actions."
    We need this framed in every place in the world where there are people and opinions.
    Also, can you please do me a favor and teach at my school???? Because your posts are a heck of a lot more reasonable and actually contain information I can use in life??????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day. xD
      Haha, I would absolutely love to, I''ll just have to get through my school years first, but maybe someday. (a teacher is actually one of the things on my list of Things That I Might Do In The Future With My Life, maybe I can take all of my opinions to the people there jk. xD)

      Delete
  2. Preach, Kelsey. This is very true, especially the bits about judging people on how they react to their mistakes/apologize/make up for them. If someone insults someone dear to me, but they're really genuinely sorry they did and sincerely apologize afterwards, I'll probably forgive them. But if they say "Um, I didn't say that" or "What, I'm just stating my opinion"* I'll despise them for a long, long while.
    And I agree. You shouldn't feel wrong calling people, even your favorite people, out for doing something offensive. I think you should say it in a nice/respectful/calm way, not all "OMG UR SOOO OFFENSIVE THAT WAS SOOOO MEAN" all over the place. But you should still not be afraid to say something.

    - Ellie

    P.S. - Idk if I've said this already, but your (not so) new header is amaze.

    *Which is another rant altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY.
      And that is also something a lot of the internet hasn't learned yet. Even if they do call someone out, they end up not only calling them out, but purposefully hurting them in some way, and it bothers me a lot. Almost as much as the people saying "I'm just stating my opinion" just to get out of admitting they're being a piece of schmidt.

      AND THANK YOU SO MUCH <3
      *there are far too many rants and things to say just on the topic of opinions in general, I could go on and on about this

      Delete
  3. I agree a 100% with you.
    Let's also talk about those fans that defend them no matter what because they're blind. They have put this celebrity in a pedestal and think they're pure perfection so they don't accept it/see it when they screw up. The person they admire might have been caught by the police with drugs and some would say "they're trying to frame him" or...i don't know. - You kinda have talked about this but it was more about words
    Also, yes!! the way a person responds after messing up says a lot about their character
    Anyway, nice post!
    awholelotofmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU KELSEY FOR THIS.
    Ahh the whole Alex thing pissed me off.
    I don't completely hate him for saying it and won't ever listen to ATL again, but at the same time if he just apologises properly instead of just going "Oh, I give up. You guys know who I am and what I believe" or whatever he said it'd be so much better and we could all just move on from the incident, because all people really want is for him to say what he said was wrong, and say sorry for it.
    The thing is, nobody's perfect and people say stuff that others do get offended by, but if you are famous you have to think a lot about the things you say and I think this is one of those times where he messed up and didn't quite think about what he was saying.
    I've gone off on a completely unrelated rant, oops xD
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, we really ought not to put celebrities on pedestals, because they are, well, human. Though, like you said, we can't just excuse our actions by pinning the blame on someone else. I think apologizing (and then changing and learning from the failure next time) is great. It gives opportunity for growth. This is something I've been learning in my personal life, anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It honestly sucks that real humans (celebs) are treated this way at all--followed with cameras every time they open their front door, constantly picked on by people with no lives, judged every time they get caught even wiping their nose. It's like, what, do people think celebs are gods or something? Ugh. It's sad that people who just want to display their talent and make a living while doing it must also be subjected to this public ridicule, and basically have their humanity stripped away from them. It's honestly just so disgusting to me.

    People who care so much about celebs that they wait around, waiting for them to mess up or say the wrong thing or be caught with the wrong person are honestly so sad and are wasting away their lives. People need to leave their computer screens sometimes and go outside and live actual lives with their own bodies and minds and stop worrying about celebrities--who, might I add, don't even have a direct effect on our personal lives anyway. So why even bother with them?

    (wow whoops I got a bit rant-y on your rant post here sorry)

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete

Be kind is all I ask of you