Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Dear Young Me,


D r i n k. Drink a glass of water. And another. And maybe just one more. It’ll clear your skin as well as your mind and you’ll feel much better late at night with a warm mug of tea in your hands after a long day.

E a t. Eat as much as your stomach can hold. Don’t listen to all the things that cross your mind when you look at your thighs and growing fat. You’re healthy. All those remarks you tell yourself are all lies. Don’t hide your food and don’t throw it away. You’ll never make it out the door starving, my dear.

W a s h. Wash your hair, wash your arms, and wash yourself from head to toe. Darling, I know you hate looking at yourself in the mirror, but I promise your feet aren’t as big as you tell yourself and you’ll grow into your nose one day. Be proud of your vessel, and scrub it until it shines.

R e a d. Read, my dear. Visit the library every week. Read everything you can get your hands on. Stay up late reading ‘just one more chapter’ and fall in love with fictional characters while embarking on great journeys.

S m i l e. Smile at yourself in the mirror. Tell yourself it’s going to be okay. Look at yourself in the mirror and say ‘I love body’ especially on the days you don’t. Apologize to every piece of yourself you’ve ever hated. Brush your hair and teeth and promise yourself that you’ll love yourself today.

D a n c e. The moment you’re home alone, put on your favorite CD and dance. Around the couch, down the hallway, and into the kitchen. Twirl around in circles and collapse in a laughing fit on your bed.

W r i t e. Write about your day, your feelings, your memories. Write about the person who walked by your house today or the movie you saw last week, or what grade you got on your test.

L i s t e n. Listen to music, even when you don’t feel like dancing. Close your eyes and lay back and listen to your parents’ favorite bands. Listen to other people. Ask what they’ve been doing lately for the sake of listening to how they’ve been and really listen.

Darling, I know you’re confused. I know you’re worried and scared and that nothing feels like it’s going to get better. But guess what? We’re here now. We’re in a much better place and everything is alright now. You’re safe.

You’re going to learn a whole lot in the next couple years. I’ve still got a lot to learn myself. But it’ll all be okay. One of the most important lessons you’ll learn is how to take care of yourself. How to take time for yourself every once and a while.

You’re going to learn how to love yourself again.


~     ☁     ~


inspired by this and this and a whole mess of other things




11 comments :

  1. This was amazing. I love it!
    I love water (as weird as it sounds)
    I love food too. The only problem is lately I ca only eat a little bit before I'm super full and I'm still not hungry for 6 hours. I love food but I feel sick if i try to eat more than a tiny bit. :/
    I love reading. I try to go to the library every week.

    Lovely post <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Kelsey. This could have been written to a younger me.
    I went through a period a couple years ago where I was convinced other people thought I was fat. Yes, this was a girl who was generally too small for the xsmalls to fit her. I knew I wasn't overweight, but I was scared I looked like I was to other people. So I ate very little, if at all, and constantly stood in front of the mirror grasping what little body fat I had in my hands and wishing it went away. I also went through the no-personal-hygiene phase. Eventually, I snapped out of it, when I learned that those who are underweight are at risk for many conditions commonly only associated with those who are overweight, such as diabetes and chronic heart failure. (And it's true - one of my closest friends, who's underweight not because she doesn't eat - she eats probably the most out of any person I know - but becuase of her metabolism and genetics, has to get her blood drawn to test for thyroid problems every time she goes to the doctor because of her lack of weight.)
    This has got to be one of my favorite serious-style posts ever of yours. Thank you so, so much for it. I can't even express how much this touched me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know how much I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. Everything about this is just wonderful. I especially adore the part about 'listening.' A lot of the times we focus on talking and I know I'm always wondering about the perfect thing to say next. The art of listening is just so underrated and you put it into words so elegantly. Dancing and smiling and reading and eating and...goodness. These things all seem so simple to the eye, but you put so much emotion into them and...gahhh I think I could go on for ages.
    Your younger self is lucky to have someone like you to give her advice for the future. Keep being you, girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! You're so talented😍
    ~Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this.
    Isn't it amazing to look back on how far we've come? Every time I think about my past I just want to give her a big hug and tell her it's going to be okay. All of this advice was definitely stuff I would tell my younger self.
    I especially liked the part about dancing. Dancing is important.
    Lovely and fantastic post, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *drinks water until bladder can't hold anymore* *looks in mirror* oh, look, still a myriad of pimples -_-
    Haha, nah I know what my acne issue is--I'm lazy.
    Anyway, lovely, lovely post. Hoping I one day get to the point where I love myself :)

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowza, this was great. I needed that advice! And I need it now. It's a shame we don't love ourselves like the Lord loves us -- despite of all our flaws. I need to love myself, too. To see the good in me as well as others!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the post! You have a really great blog:)

    www.theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's you.
    Where was this when I needed it? Stored up in your beautiful little brain. Many times in the past years I could have done with hearing exactly this.
    I must admit there was a time when I did the same as Ellie, in front of the mirror,

    And drinking water! Oh I have an awful time remembering to do that.

    Anyway, this is lovely. And you are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Be kind is all I ask of you