Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

define: adventure





Not too long ago, I came across a tumblr posts that read 

"god i love people who refer to anything as an adventure. 
“wanna go on an adventure?” *goes to mcdonald’s for ice cream at 1am*"

And regardless of the fact that it made me question my life and who I am based on what I consider an 'adventure', I'd like to thank tumblr user kehinki for making me reevaluate my life and motivating me to listen to other people more often in terms of what they consider an adventure.

I have met so many people in my time who are true wanderers at heart.
They spend so much time looking at pictures of the world and gazing longingly over plane ticket prices and wondering what it would be like to one day leave their own little town to explore the whole world around them. These kinds of people inspire me so much.
But in reality, I've noticed during these past few months that my ultimate favorite kinds of people are the ones who can find an adventure in every little piece of dust that happens to fly by. The ones that turn waiting at the bus stop into a game of 'who can find the first yellow car?', and the ones who can come to the same place every day and find something new in that same little place. I was heavily  influenced by these kinds of people in my childhood, as both of my parents live in this mindset, and it is something that I have been jealous of for the longest time. (I think it's also why Up continues to be one of my all-time favorite movies. Ellie was my favorite character ever when it came out, and I wanted an adventure book more than anything in the world. I still have yet to fly away in a house hung in the sky below a cloud of balloons, but I'm working on it)
I've spent so long talking about how I could never handle a job where I have to sit in an office day by day, sitting in the same place with nowhere to go, and while I'm still in that mindset where I want more than anything, to travel the world and see everything, I still look for those people every day who are able to turn a little office room into an adventure. In fact, over Christmas, my parents' company gave a camera to me, one I had been wanting for so very long, and I am determined to use it as I was told to--to find adventures in the smallest places. The past week, every single day I go around our little house, around our yard, and into our little town if I'm feeling up to it, to find adventures all on my own. And honestly, they've been some of the best little walks I've ever taken. I just hope that one day I'll be able to define an adventure as simply as existing. Walking down the street, lying in bed, wondering what I'll dream tonight, or just making breakfast or going to school. Maybe, just maybe, my life wouldn't be so dull, and I won't have to worry so much then.
To quote yet another tumblr post, "Your adventure doesn’t begin once you move to your dream home or your favorite part of the country. It does not begin once you’re financially stable. It doesn’t begin once you have a certain amount of instagram or tumblr followers. It is now. Life is happening right under your nose and if you don’t pay attention, you’ll miss it. Daydreams are well and good, but if you spend all your time dreaming, you’ll forget you’re awake and breathing and living life, and you will miss it. Be present. Be fully alive. Accept failure. Begin again, and again, and again. You are writing your own story, no one else. Decide what kind of story you want to write and start living it today."




~     ~     ~


"When people say they want to see the world, what they're really saying is, 'I want to see different'."
-dottie james


((pls dont take my photos, thank you lovelies <3))

6 comments :

  1. oh, i love adventures. (i do that kinda thing too where i'm like "let's see how many rocks i can find before the bus comes for school" or "let's build a blanket fort that covers the entire living room" and "les see how long it takes us to run to the park and come back". although i still want to have an adventure in another country.

    also, i love that quote.

    xo
    emily

    ps. happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aspire to be like you one day. Little adventures are fun, but same, travelling is different, and to have the chance to see the world would be so wonderful.
      And same, Dottie's writing is so beautiful. ^_^

      AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO!!

      Delete
  2. Wait oh my god you took those photos Kelsey I thought those were professionally done like holy crap.
    You know that feeling when you just love and agree with every single thing in the post and can't really think of anything to say because you're just in such sync with the post you'd probably end up repeating it if you tried to elaborate? If that made any sense, that's me rn. Stunning post, darling, and I agree with every inch of it.

    - Ellie
    http://ontheothersideofrealitynew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yeah I'm sorta working on photography, which is really different to me since I prefer video. :) And thank you so very much!! <3 <3
      I've felt that quite a few times actually, and that means so much to me, thank you so much, lovely. <3

      Delete
  3. First of all, this post and that YouTube video and the creator of that aforementioned video may have just completely changed my perspective on life for the absolute better. I have no words right now.
    Second of all, I absolutely adore every word you just wrote. I find that finding adventure in everything really isn't a, "I wake up one day and suddenly, everything is clear" sort of journey. If you let yourself slowly grow into your own skin, if you let the little things catch your eye on their own, you'll 100% begin to become the person you want to be. The very fact you've acknowledged this as a goal in your life is a huge deal, Kelsey. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dottie's videos are all so wonderful, she's one of my biggest inspirations. Everything she posts changes my perspective on life and makes me want to be better, and I love all her videos.
      That means so much to me coming from you, thank you so much <3 It's something I'm working on, I definitely haven't made it yet, but that is the goal. I'm so jealous of people who are able to see the world differently when all I've ever known is a plain, black and white world, but I'm slowly learning that black and white isn't really all that bad, and can be beautiful all on its own. And thank you so much, I really hope I accomplish this one. ^_^

      Delete

Be kind is all I ask of you