Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Girl Talk



~         ~

There's something I've been meaning to say for quite some time now, but was never brave enough to, since this isn't really the kind of thing I usually post. So here's to hoping this doesn't turn out too horrible. I would usually have an intro to things like this, but for now, I'm just going to jump right in.


There’s nothing wrong with girls who are ‘popular’. There’s nothing wrong with girls who wear lots of makeup. There’s nothing wrong with girls who dance to pop music. There’s nothing wrong with girls who like to get their nails done or go out and party with their friends or who date a lot of guys or who are really careful picking out their outfits to look good every day.


There’s nothing wrong with girls who are “”different””. There’s nothing wrong with girls who listen to heavy rock or bands no one has even heard of. There’s nothing wrong with girls who show up at school in sweatpants and a t-shirt. There’s nothing wrong with girls who don’t go out a lot and spend a lot of time on the internet.


There's nothing wrong with girls who think they're 'too skinny' or 'too fat'. And there's nothing wrong with girls who are big or little. There's nothing wrong with girls who have an hourglass figure, or are shaped like an apple or a pear. Your body type doesn't determine how 'pretty' you are or your self worth. 


And while we’re on the topic, girls shouldn’t be in constant competition with each other. Girls shouldn’t be taught to hate each other because they’re “different” or because they like different things. Girls shouldn’t be taught that they have to look a certain way in order to be special or ‘pretty enough’.  Every girl is beautiful and strong, no matter their race, religion, sexuality, body type, or what they look like or what their interests are. Everyone here now has worked hard to become who they are today, and shouldn’t be ridiculed for that. 


I haven't seen any hate towards other girls or anything on here, and I'm proud of that. But I still see it every day, so I still feel like it needs to be said. Don't put down other girls. Don't compare yourself to other girls. Love yourself and other girls alike. Also, as a girl, don't think that you have to dress up and spend your entire life trying to impress a boy. If you want to dress up or look nice, do it for yourself and not solely because you want to impress someone or compete with other girls out there. My entire life I've been told the complete opposite; that as a girl my life goal was to find a boy and marry him and have a family while looking better than all the other girls around me, and that was it. I know some of my old friends are still in that mindset, that that really is their purpose in life, but I don't blame them, because for a long time I thought the same.

In short


Anyway, sorry about the little rant, and sorry I haven't been posting, and sorry I haven't even replied to the comments on the last post, I'll be doing that soon, this has just been stuck in my mind for the past few months and I needed to let it out. I guess this does count as the first 'red journal' post, since it is all in there, so tada. xD 


I hope you've been having a wonderful week so far. ^__^
It's almost over, don't worry, you just have a couple more days to go through, we'll make it through. ^-^
EAT LOTS OF PINEAPPLES, STAY IN SCHOOL, DRINK LOTS OF WATER, SAY HI TO YOUR PETS, AND READ A MAGICAL BOOK FOR ME.

~          ~

"Do not try to be pretty. You weren’t meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don’t let anyone ever simplify you to just “pretty.”"



22 comments :

  1. I'm really quite proud of you for writing this. I don't think it could've been written better; and it certainly needed to be put out there. <3
    xo Adi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and I'm glad I was able to. I've been wanting to do this forever, and it ended up being one of my favorite posts to write. ^-^

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing this, Kelsey! I'm more of what you would call a "different girl", and I really needed to read this today. ♥

    Micaela // Note + Rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, of course!! :] And and of course, that's perfectly okay, I'm so glad I could help. <3

      Delete
  3. This *had* to be said and I'm so proud of you for writing this blog post, Kelsey. Whether its in the media or in movies or television shows, I always see competition between females being promoted and encouraged. Women and girls have got to be there for one another to lift each other up, not to tear each other down for being different. Competition isn't powerful - support and love are. I couldn't have put it any better myself - fantastic job. <3
    *adds this post to the reasons why I think you're amazing and why I adore this blog*
    ~Oli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! <3 Same though, it's not just at school, it's literally everywhere women and even little girls are pitted against each other and it doesn't have to be that way. It hurts a lot of girls' self esteem and just causes a lot of problems. And I honestly couldn't have say what you did any better either. Thank you. ^___^

      Delete
  4. This is an amazing post! I'm still trying to figure myself out, because sometimes I'm the quiet girl who likes to read, other times I love to shop and act girly, and other times where I just want to wear band t-shirts and make sarcastic comments. I don't know...now I'm just making myself more confused. But awesome post, and I totally agree. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! Ugh, ikr. It just depends on how I'm feeling that day, but some days I feel like the quiet one who just wants to hide from everyone and read for a while, sometimes I'm the band geek and decide to wear all my band merch at once, and the sarcastic comment thing is real for me too. xD and sometimes I feel like wearing dressy clothes for no reason, but there's nothing wrong with either things. Good luck figuring yourself out, and thanks so much. <3

      Delete
  5. That was a lovely rant. I have trouble remembering that the girl on the right side of the picture deserves just as much respect. Thank you for reminding me- I need that.

    P.s. The girl labeled "me" looks exactly like me today! The only difference is that I have glasses and a green stripe down my shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. ^__^ You're not the only one. I used to feel the same, and STILL sometimes think bad things about girls who are more comfortable in clothes like that, and I want that to change. And not a problem!! :}

      P.S. That is amazing, high five to the psychic artist who just happened to draw you. xD

      Delete
  6. Amen to that Kelsey. It's true, too many girls compare themselves to one another. I have been guilty of comparing myself to others in the past. But growing up has taught me one thing: it's important just to be yourself, and not try to worry about what others think of you. Do what you love without feeling nervous about what others think of you.

    This is beautiful Kelsey, just beautiful. <3
    ~Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, and you're not alone in that. Thank goodness some of us are able to finally learn that, it really makes a huge difference. Being able to love yourself and others the same feels so much better.

      Thank you so much!! <3

      Delete
  7. Wow, thank you for saying this. I've always kept my distance from girls who were really pretty, popular, and cool, etc... I guess I kind of de-humanized them in my mind and felt like I could never relate to them because they were different. You see, I've always considered myself pretty open minded, but this post kind of pointed out that I've closed myself up to other girls because they were different than me. And that quote at the end was beautiful! Gosh, I wish every girl in the world could read this post and be inspired. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! ^-^ Same here though, it's just what we've been taught over time as we grew up, and it's something I really want to change. It's so easy to de-humanize people sometimes, and even though it's something that everyone does, and something that I *still* end up doing all the time, it's still horrible. I'm glad I can help, and don't feel bad; it was just as much of a reminder for myself as it was for anyone else on here. Haha, thanks so much for reading it!! :}

      Delete
  8. Beautiful post Kelsey! Everything you said here is true, and it's nice to see that somebody feels the same way. Thank you for taking the time to write this out. I'm sure this will have a positive impact on many people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! ^_^ Thanks again, and same here. I just felt like it needed to be said, because this isn't really something that gets as much mentioning as it should. And I really hope so! ^_^

      Delete
  9. i thank you from the very bottom of my heart for writing this--it was beautiful, and needed to be said. ^_^

    -maddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much!! <3 I had so much fun writing it. ^__^

      Delete
  10. Awesome as always. Yes, this needs to be spread like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! ^_^ I hope at least the message is spread everywhere, it really needs to be

      Delete
  11. This really restores my faith in humanity. It should be mandatory that every person in the world read this, asap. Like now.

    I can totally relate to this. I'm a girly-girl who loves makeup and pink and glitter, but is also secretly obsessed with Fall Out Boy. I am the biggest, and I mean BIGGEST nerd ever, but I don't think people discover the full extent of my nerdiness until they get to know me. Long story short, I don't fit into one category. I don't think any girl truly fits into one category. We each are our own categories. You can't compare me to you or to that girl down the street because we each are our own individuals. We may have similarities, but we have differences, and that's okay! If you don't believe me, read The Giver. Sameness is boring.

    Also, my biggest pet peeve is when people assume I'm trying to attract a boy or covering my insecurities with makeup. Um, no. I wear it for me, because I think I look really good with it. Don't like it? The door is right there. Tough.

    (Sorry for the super duper long comment. I'm really passionate about this. I'll shut up now. *blasts Fall Out Boy*)

    ~Jennifer Whyskers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :] I just wish I was able to spread this to more people, maybe it would help then.

      And that is totally fine! (Gold star for you for FOB too xD) You're right, too, I can't really categorize myself into one specific stereotype or label either. I absolutely love rock/punk bands and the color black and things that are considered 'tomboyish' but I also obsess over dresses and things, and I'm still learning to accept myself that way, and everyone else the same. Ugh, I loved The Giver, and it is like that. That whole paragraph was perfect btw. ^_^

      SAME THOUGH. Whenever I go to parties or something, whether it's with family or whatever, I'm always asked "so do you have a boyfriend yet/aw are you dressed up for someone special? ;)" or something, it bugs me. Like no, I'm wearing this fabulous outfit so I can feel good about myself, so chill. *snaps fingers* xD

      (Oh no, I love super duper long comments. xD Glad someone else feels the same way about all this. *blasts Fall Out Boy with you*)

      Delete

Be kind is all I ask of you